DD-214 (Military Discharge Papers)
DD-214s are official discharge papers. This is proof that you were discharged from military service. If you do not have a certified copy of your DD-214, it is important that you get and keep a copy. You may need a DD-214 to access many services available to veterans.

To get a copy of your DD-214:
Contact the National Archives and Records Administration and ask for form SF-180. You will need to complete the form and send it back by mail or fax. A written request may be sent without the form, but you should phone first or see the website for more information on what to send. You may also initiate your request through the website. Usually, copies of DD-214s are free.

National Archives and Records Administration

National Personnel Records Center
FAX: 314-801-9195
Military Personnel Records
1 Archives Dr., St. Louis, MO 63138-1002

After you receive your DD-214, it is a good idea to have it recorded with the Cuyahoga County Fiscal Officer. They will keep a copy on file in their office for you. You can walk in to have your DD-214 recorded with the Cuyahoga County Fiscal Officer. If you’ve already had it recorded, you may go there to obtain a certified replacement copy:

Cuyahoga County Fiscal Officer
Transfer and Recording Department
2079 E 9th St., 4th Flr.
Cleveland, OH 44115